Are You Experiencing Sinus Complications?
How your sinus, ear, nose, and throat specialist in Manhattan, NY, can help with sinus problems
Sinus complications are uncomfortable, annoying, and very stubborn, as they often fail to respond to over-the-counter sinus medications. Fortunately, here at Dr. Richard Nass's Manhattan office, your ENT specialist can help you find relief from sinus problems—read on to learn how.
More about sinus issues and how we can help
Sinus complications often occur due to allergies. Producing symptoms such as a stuffy nose, dizziness, breathing problems, and recurrent headaches, allergic reactions are commonly caused by exposure to grass and flower pollens, pet dander, mold, and dust mites. To alleviate these issues, the first step is to perform an allergy test so as to determine what exactly you are allergic to.
Once you and your doctor have determined the source of your allergies, it’s best to try and avoid those substances. Other allergy treatments include shots and sublingual immunotherapy. Treating the underlying allergy can help prevent future sinus complications.
Other sinus complication can result from inflammations due to virus, fungus, or bacterial infection. In these cases, your sinuses can feel full of pressure and chronic, throbbing pain. Other signs and symptoms include:
- A greenish-yellow fluid coming from your nose
- Persistent coughing and congestion
- Persistent earaches, headaches, or sore throat
If you are experiencing these issues, you can try a few simple home remedies to get relief from sinus problems. Consider:
- Placing a humidifier in your bedroom to soothe your sinuses
- Irrigating your sinuses with saline solution to keep nasal passages clear
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
For stubborn sinus complications, it’s best to visit an expert ENT specialist. Your doctor may recommend:
- Prescription-strength antihistamines, decongestants, or antibiotics
- Prescription-strength corticosteroids and anti-inflammatory medications
- Sinus surgery including balloon sinuplasty to open up blocked nasal passages
Need relief? Give us a call
If you are experiencing problems with your sinuses, it’s time to call Dr. Richard Nass, your ENT specialist in Manhattan, NY. Dial (212) 734-4515 now to schedule a consultation.